Slovenská Ľupča
   Text    Map    Google Map

    Slovenská Ľupča is a small town with a castle of the same name, situated at the Hron river in the protected area of the Low Tatras (NAPANT).
    The first written reference about the town's castle is from the year 1250, when it was owned by a king. Between the years 1424 - 1490 and 1531 - 1546 the land of Slovenská Ľupča was owned by a king, and between 1672 and 1848 it was owned by the Ungarn Chamber. At the time when it was owned by a king, it was rented to various lords (Dóci, Séči, Vešenély). In 1340 the town was awarded privileges according to the Krupina law and it had its own coat-of-arms. The local population consisted of farmers, craftsmen and drovers. In 1711 - 1918 a paper-producing factory was built at a brewery and a brick-kiln.
    The castle is at the hill above the town. Objects concentrated around the small courtyard are the oldest. They consist of inhabited buildings, castle walls and a square bastion. In the second half of the 15-th century it was re-built for the first time. Semicircle northern bastion was added and the eastern part of the castle was rebuilt (a gothic chapel was built on the second floor). In this part of the castle still remained the original gothic portals and windows. External fortification with three corner circle bastions and a gate were built as a result of the threat of the Turkish attack in the second half of the 16-th century. Also the castle interior was changed during the reign of Paul Rubigall in 1573. From this period of time still remained vaults in the renaissance style, portals and windows. The castle chapel was rebuilt in the baroque style in 1692.
    In the village, there is also a protected memorable tree called "Korvín´s lime-tree" (M. Korvín was a very popular Slovak king); A neo-gothic Evangelic church from the year 1874; a building of a former town-hall from the year 1659; a Mary Column from the middle of the 18-th century and ruins of a former middle-ages monastery. The church in the monastery was mentioned already in 1323. The church as well as monastery faded in 1605. The Roman-Catholic church from the14-th century was rebuilt in the renaissance style in 1615. The gothic vaults and a pastophorium in the church still remained well preserved. The renaissance funeral chapel from the years 1611 and 1620 is also a part of the church.



Spiš | Gemer | Liptov | Horehronie | Slovak Paradise | High Tatras | Low Tatras | Belianske Tatras
Pieniny | Spiš Castle | St. James’s Church | castle of Stará Ľubovňa | Krásna Hôrka | AquaCity | Bešeňová | Tatralandia | Vrbov | Vyšné Ružbachy